At CFNL, philanthropy goes beyond financial stewardship—it’s about heart, purpose, and lasting change. We’re uniquely poised to manage your gifts, ensuring they’re seamlessly woven into the fabric of our communities and deliver the greatest impact.
We understand the pulse of our communities, the unique challenges they face, and the myriad of opportunities that lie ahead. Our deep-rooted relationships with local organizations allow us to manage donations with utmost precision, channelling them where they’re needed most.
Whether you choose to give to an existing fund or start a new one, we offer flexibility. Start a fund journey with an initial gift, a heartfelt bequest, a life insurance gift, or commit to building the fund for the future. The choice is yours.
This Giving Guide highlights the wide range of options available to you from CFNL.
Types of Funds
(Our Current Priority) The Community Fund is a dynamic response to our province’s pressing needs. Decisions are steered by dedicated volunteers from across Newfoundland and Labrador. Whether bolstering health, invigorating arts and culture, or safeguarding our environment, your contribution is more than a donation—it’s a strategic investment that empowers CFNL and our partners to seize opportunities. Want to create a legacy? Create a named fund that gives to the Community Fund. Or, make your mark with a monthly or singular gift. Every act counts and makes a difference.
Field-of-Interest Funds allow you to dive deeper into your passions. These funds empower donors to assign CFNL the task of grant allocation, all anchored to a chosen theme or specific area of interest, such as arts and heritage. Much like the Community Fund, volunteers from every corner of the province play a pivotal role, ensuring the alignment of these funds with the designated interest.
Donor-Advised-Funds are the modern, hassle-free alternative to a private foundation. They represent a powerful partnership between donors and CFNL. While you, as the donor, bring your heart, vision, and guidance to the direction of the grants, CFNL supports with expert advice and deftly handles the intricacies of administration, operations, and governance. Together, we transform passion into impactful action. Together, we transform passion and insight into a positive difference.
Designated Funds are the gift that keeps on giving. These funds enable donors to single out specific charitable organizations, ensuring they remain continual beneficiaries of your generous legacy. Looking to support the performing arts? Talk to us about potential matching from Canadian Heritage.
Regional Funds are tailored for donors who want to commit to a specific area of the province or community organizations and local governments who want to raise funds to support local causes and projects in their region. These funds offer a streamlined avenue to champion local charities, nonprofits and projects without the complexities and expenses of establishing a standalone organization.
“My goal was to carry on my sister’s love of making books—-designing, creating, printing, and sharing the
books with others. Tara also taught painting and book arts, wanting others to experience the joy of creating
art. Tara died far too young, but her legacy in books, painting, and teaching art lives on. The Community
Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador offered the perfect fit to establish a fund in Tara’s name that
would support her legacy into perpetuity. The staff at CFNL and the Community Foundations of Canada
were brilliant in helping fulfill this vision, which will last far beyond my lifetime.”
Teresa Tidwell, Fund Holder, Tara Bryan Legacy Fund
Endowment: More than a gift, it’s a legacy. Permanent endowments cement your intent to benefit causes now and in the future. Donations are invested, and only the returns are used for grants, letting your commitment to positive change endure.
Term: Think of it as an endowment with flexibility. After a set duration, the entirety of the fund’s donations can be distributed. It’s your vision, realized on a timeline you choose.
Spend-Down: Immediate and impactful. A spend-down fund is for you if you want to see change within your lifetime or urgently address pivotal community needs. By targeting to disburse the full amount within 10-20 years, you not only support critical initiatives but also gain greater financial giving power by mitigating risks from inflation.
Flow-Through: Agility at its best. A flow-through fund empowers immediate granting within 1-3 years, turning your wishes into swift action.
How Can I Give?
- Credit Card – https://cfnl.ca/donate/.
- Cheque or Cash to Community Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador, Suite 209, 31 Peet Street, St. John’s, NL, A1B 3W8
- Publicly Listed Securities – reach out to a CFNL staff member for a donation form.
- Make a Bequest – Donors can designate a specific gift or portion of their estate to CFNL. Work with CFNL to create a fund that can be included in your will, making giving simple and flexible for the future. Fund agreements can be amended with CFNL at any time. Contact a CFNL staff member for sample Will clauses.
- Life Insurance – Life insurance allows you to make extraordinary gifts at a manageable cost. There are several options. You may purchase a new policy naming CFNL as the owner and irrevocable beneficiary of the policy. Or, you may transfer an existing policy to CFNL. Another option is to name CFNL as the beneficiary of your policy. There are different tax advantages for each of these options. Talk to your Financial Advisor about what makes the most sense for you.
- US Donors – Through its membership in the Community Foundations of Canada, CFNL can provide tax receipts for US Donors who have Newfoundland and Labrador on their heart. Contact a CFNL staff member to learn more.
- Retirement Plans – You can designate CFNL as a beneficiary of your Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) or Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF). By donating an RRSP or RRIF, you will offset the tax that would otherwise be payable on these assets by your estate.
- Real and Personal Property – Donate by reaching out to a CFNL staff member.
- For Anonymous Donors – CFNL will ensure that your gift or fund remains a quiet contribution benefiting the community.
For every act of generosity to CFNL, you receive an official income tax receipt. The Government offers tax credits, which vary based on the structure of your donation. For an optimized tax approach, we recommend consulting with your accountant or financial advisor.
Your initial donation can be just the beginning. Many donors view their funds as evolving entities, continuously nurturing them over time. Here’s how:
- Regular Contributions: Your fund is not a static entity; it’s a dynamic vessel for ongoing philanthropy. Top it up anytime with cash, publicly listed securities or through a fundraising event or online campaign.
- Future Gifts: Think ahead. Enrich your fund with bequests in your Will, life insurance policies, retirement savings, tax-free savings accounts, or other assets.
- Legacy Planning: Consider shaping the future. Craft a succession plan that either keeps philanthropy alive within your family and friends or leans on the expertise of CFNL.